Welcome to 21 new additions to the family


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Do you remember the article on my bug fetish, "What's Bugging Summer Rayne," I wrote years ago for SASS Magazine, as per Sean's request?

Well, I just got a whole new troupe of arthropods in today, which is cause for great excitement. My friend, Jake and I were preparing the terrariums all weekend. There were a few mishaps along the way. Jake fell off the ladder while hanging up some plants and put a foot straight through one of the glass cases. He cut himself up pretty badly and we had to go get peroxide and bandages because he was a bleeder. Right after that, we had to go back to the pet store to get another terrarium.

Then this morning, UPS never delivered the blasted insect package because the plane had been delayed. Finally, UPS came back, but only on a whim because the shipper misspelled my street name. Thank goodness they found me--otherwise I would have had a box of fried cockroaches!

Right now I have two terrariums: Forest terrain and desert terrain--to accommodate the different habitat preferences of the species. I'm in agreement with Jake: The desert terrain is pretty damn sweet. I have a number of succulents and a coconut hut, the latter which has been the hotbed of insect activity. I think the Madagascar hissing cockroach (who is more suitable in the forest terrain, but had to separate him from the female roaches for obvious reasons) is shacking up right now with a desert millipede in the hut. That inspires me to actually create a new terrarium with little coconut huts with signs like, "The Roach Motel," "The Bug Bar," "Centipede Shoe Shine"....you know, the usual hang-out joints for beasts like these.

I have a lot of new insects that I haven't raised before, like the red-backed darkling beetles and common darkling beetles. I was actually surprised that they do headstands as a defensive mechanism, which is pretty cool. They're related to the blue death-feigning beetles, (which I have raised before), and who actually roll over and play dead. Well, at least I know they are pretty agile--maybe I should start a coconut hut-gymnasium.

Another newcomer is the absolutely stunning show-stopper of a bug: A female Hercules beetle. She has not removed herself from the organic banana and kiwi slices, but graciously shares them with the Black African millipedes (my favorite) and the red-backed darklings. This will provide endless hours of enjoyment for me...Just wait until I start walking them in Bryant Park... ;o)

The desert terrarium with just two death-feigning beetles from a previous upbringing

The desert terrarium with it's residents. Millipede in transit; blue death-feigning female and darkling beetle chowing down on a banana and strawberry; and desert millipede in the background sucking on a kiwi.
A female blue death-feigning beetle on a succulent

Residents eating outside the coconut house

The forest habitat with a Madagascar hissing roach and Black African millipede in the back

The opulent Hercules beetle (female). Females are sexually-dimorphic, which means they look drastically different from the males, who have large horns protruding from their head. Hercules beetles are the strongest animals in the world, capable of lifting objects 850 times their weight. I didn't get a male. They can get pretty angry during mating season.

Lady Hercules gets her fill of fresh organic fruits.

A red-backed darkling beetle in the forest habitat.

Another red-backed exploring the wood-chip terrain

A Black African millipede chows down on my plants. They are known to have a pretty voracious appetite and will often go after my plants.

Total insect collection count:
- 2 Black African Millipedes
- 3 Desert Millipedes
- 1 Hercules Beetle
- 6 Blue Death-Feigning Beetles
- 4 Red-backed Darkling Beetles
- 2 Common Darkling Beetles
- 3 Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches



Labels: , , , , ,


0 Responses to “Welcome to 21 new additions to the family”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


about

  • From the frontlines: Tracking the latest news, updates, and projects of Summer Rayne Oakes

E-mail me SRO News


Preview | FeedBlitz

Social Bookmarking

previous posts

archives

links


ATOM 0.3

View blog top tags View blog authority